Setting two Zone records, GP Composite’s Brandon Tufford delivered a pair of dominating performances at the 2016 NW Zone Track and Field meet in Peace River on Friday and Saturday.
Tufford destroyed the 34 year old Junior Men’s 1500m record by 4.5 seconds, running a time of 4:22. He also set a new mark in the Junior Men’s 800m with a of 2:08.
Hillside Valleyview’s Aimee Caron had the top performance in the Junior High meet. She crushed the Senior Girls 80m hurdles record by almost 2 seconds in a time of 12.0. Caron also won the the Senior Girls 200m, Triple Jump, and ran a leg on the winning 4 x 100 relay.
Other notable local performances included:
- Tristan Werklund – Hillside Valleyview – who broke Jeff Halvorson’s Zone record in the Intermediate Men’s 100m and also had wins in the 200m, Triple Jump, and 4 x 100m.
- Janai Martens – St Joes – who won 4 events in the Senior Women’s category (100, 200, Long Jump, Triple Jump)
- Brittany Duvall – Eaglesham – who also won 4 events in the Senior Women’s category (800, 1500, 3000m, 4 x 400m)
- Piper Chillog – St Joe’s – who set a record in the Junior Women’s 100m and also won the 200m and Long Jump
- Mairen Lawson – IV Macklin – who set a record in the Junior Girls 800 and also won the 400 and 1500,
- Dylan Sieben – Harry Balfour – who won 3 events in the Junior Boys category (800, 1500, Triple Jump)
- Eric Nooy – Spirit River – who won 3 events in the Intermediate Men’s category (800, 1500, 3000)
- Chris Baird – Charles Spencer – who set a new record in the Junior Men’s Discus
The top 2 finishers in the Senior High events qualified for next weekend’s 2016 ASAA High School Provincial Track and Field Championships in Edmonton.
Full results are posted on the NW Zone Track and Field page